Sunday, October 26, 2008

NO FLIGHT FOR YOU!

As if flying is not bad enough these days, beyond a bus in the air, Jet Blue has taken the idea of their having a fiefdom a bit too far.

I went to Vegas for a convention - got there Thursday night late, had meetings all day friday, a relaxing dinner then off to the airport for my red eye home to Boston. I knew I had a middle seat from check in - of course. But I bought a pillow, had my headset and ipod and planned to pop a sleeping pill when I got on.

As I boarded I took said pill. I walked down the aisle and there was this ENORMOUS guy - taking up his aisle seat and half of the seat next to him - armrest raised. Doom set in - yes of course it was my seat he was poaching. So I get to the row, point to my seat and say that I am next to him. He looks up at me like I am an invader and states that he has a bum leg. And I reply "whatever, you paid for one seat, I paid for a seat and mine is there". He finally gets up, I sit, putting the armrest down and proceed to get out my headphones....He takes a minute to talk to the flying waitresses and then sits - spilling over and under the arm rest. That is when I am overwhelmed with the stench from him - I almost hurled my dinner - what, did his bum leg mean that he cannot shower either? Aren't there laws that you have to have SOME personal hygiene to fly? When the window seat occupant arrives and we stand, I walk over to the flight attendant and say that I am going to throw up if I am next to this person - he really stinks! She tells me to sit where I am assigned for now.

So I sit down, move as far away from gynormous smelly guy as I can - even with me making myself as small as possible, his enormous thighs are touching mine - half my seat is occupied by him. And I pull my sweatshirt over my mouth so that I can breathe without the urge to vomit.

Eventually there is a tap on my shoulder that seat 3E is available - fantastic - I get my stuff and walk forward - 3E is occupied. The flight attendant asks if I am looking for a space for my carryon - I reply no, I was told 3E was where I was to move to but it is taken - turns out it was 13E - ok. I go over, put my stuff in, and proceed to open the overheads - fairly full but I see space for my duffle. The flying waitress tells me snootily that the bins are full - I point and say there is space, and proceed to fit my bag and close the overhead - it is full so I have to use the usual force to get them closed.

The JetBlue ground guy (the one who tapped my shoulder to tell me of my new seat) asks if I am ok - and I say yeah - and then say that the guy just really smelled awful (health hazard bad). He then tells me he needs to speak to me off the plane. I am like what???? He says just for a minute, I can leave my stuff. So I go with him. He then starts berating me, telling me I cannot speak like that - accuses me of yelling....I stand there, agape, tired, and just take it in. He then tells me he needs to speak to the crew and makes me stay on the ramp.

He then tells me I AM NOT FLYING HOME!!!! WHAAAAT????? I am accused of slamming the overhead shut, and making a scene. WHAAAT??? and that the crew is uncomfortable with me being on board - me who is dying to go to sleep. I have kids at home, who expect me in the morning. now what??

I ended up sleeping in the airport and getting a United flight home via Denver, getting me to Boston at 4PM - I would have been home at 7:30AM

One of my patients was on the flight - I am going to try to contact her to see if she heard/saw anything.

I was kicked off for complaining!!!!

On the ground when I told the guy that this horribly smelling guy was half way in my seat he responded that JetBlue does not have a policy of making people buy 2 seats - so I said instead you punish the person who is affected?

He used as defense the fact that no one else said anything - well DUH they were not next to him!

I did NOT make a scene, simply was trying to not get physically ill!

He said he could refund my ticket - but was gone by the time I got and paid for the other flight - so I need to approach Jet Blue for that, but I am disturbed by all this. Do I have ANY rights???

I kind of want to take some sort of action here....

Ok I got that flight segment refunded, and my United ticket was about the same cost so at least I am not out anything but time at this point but really this is ridiculous.

Their OWN contract of carriage states that they can refuse to transport someone with an offensive body odor!!!

But I was kicked off!!!!

totally want to make a stink here (pun intended)

6 comments:

D said...

Make a stink. I FOR SURE would.

Anonymous said...

You absolutely have a claim here. Off the top of my head, I can see tort action based on §1983, as well as false imprisonment. If anyone at any point touched you, then you also have a battery claim. I am sure a seasoned plaintiff's counsel will come up with many more.

I'd also suggest using someone who does this on a percentage of winnings basis.

One last thing: nothing said above constitutes legal advice. Just personal advice.

Anonymous said...

Well, I thing that before you call someone fat, you should look at your self, you are not that "slim" princess: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/images/users/images/6/3436-large_32504-156-005f.jpg

TriToy said...

Oh I have to leave that anonymous (ie chicken shit) comment because it is so laughable! I have no body image issues - as apparently the poster does - I wear a size 6, have 21% body fat and look like a normal toned woman. I have no desire to look like a cancer victim nor go back to the anorexic days of being a dancer - to compare me to a 300 pound man is just well idiotic. Amazing how many triathletes have body dysmorphic disorder or worse.

Unknown said...

Yikes. That's a horrible experience, and while I have no legal advise I'd just like to comment that this "anonymous" person is quite a jerk (there are better words, but I'd feel uncomfortable sullying your blog with them).

You look fantastic- really strong and healthy and fit. Thanks for setting a great example for so many athletes.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.